30 year-old woman with rapid hair loss

Patient: I am a 30 year old woman, and my hair is rapidly falling out. Help! What should I do?

Dr. Anderson: Hair loss that is rapid in nature may be a symptom of some other medical condition, such as polycystic ovary syndrome, and hormonal disorders. It is important to see a hair loss specialist for this issue, not a general dermatologist who may not deal with hair loss that often, and who may not know all the very specific screening blood tests, as there are quite a few, many of them are tests of specific hormones, and are definitely not included in routing blood tests. And I agree that a biopsy may be required.

Bottom line is that you should see a hair restoration specialist in consultation.