Hair transplant surgery, which is performed by all the surgeons at Anderson Center for Hair in Atlanta, is a medical procedure designed to combat hair loss and restore hair growth in areas where it has become thin or bald. The surgery involves the removal of hair follicles from one part of the body, typically the back or sides of the scalp, and transplanting them onto the areas with hair loss. The area the follicles are harvested from is known as the donor area, or the permanent zone, because these follicles in this location are resistant to the factors that cause hair loss.
The process begins with the surgeon administering local anesthesia to numb the scalp. Then, they use a specialized tool to extract individual hair follicles or a strip of hair-bearing skin from the donor area. These follicles are carefully placed into tiny incisions made in the recipient area, where they will eventually grow and produce new hair. The transplanted hair is permanent as it does not “know” that it has been moved from the permanent zone. The newly transplanted hair continues to grow in its new location as if it were still located in the permanent zone.
Types of Hair Transplant Procedures
There are two different types of hair transplant surgery, and the differ in the technique used for harvesting the donor hair from the permanent zone: Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Excision (FUE). It is important to note that the process that occurs in the recipient area is exactly the same for the two methods. Both methods place permanent, growing hair into the areas of need, and differ only in how the hair is obtained for the transplant process.
- FUT involves removing a small strip of skin from the donor area and dissecting it into individual hair follicles for transplantation. This method is best for patients who don’t wear very short, military “high and tight” hair styles, and for those who with a lot of hair loss in the crown area (on the top and back of the scalp. This method results in a fine line linear scar that runs across the grain and perpendicular to the direction of the hair growth on the back and sides of the scalp. Because of this orientation, the scar can only be seen when someone uses a comb to look through the scalp to try to find the scar. The scar will never accidentally become visible if the hair is wet or if it windy. It is well hidden by the hair.
- FUE, on the other hand, involves extracting individual hair follicles directly from the donor area using a specialized punch-like instrument. This method does not leave a linear scar, making it a popular choice for patients who prefer to wear their hair in very short hair styles, such as a military “high and tight” style.
Both FUT and FUE achieve natural-looking results when performed by experienced and skilled surgeons, such as those at Anderson Center for Hair. The choice of procedure depends on a range of factors, including the patient’s hair type, extent of hair loss, and personal preferences. Your doctor at Anderson Center for Hair will discuss both options with you and help you to make the choice that is right for you.
Hair transplant surgery in Atlanta has come a long way in recent years, with advancements in techniques and technology making it a safe and effective solution for hair restoration. However, it is important for individuals considering the procedure to consult with a qualified surgeon to determine their suitability and potential outcomes. We invite you to schedule a consultation with one of our world-renowned Atlanta-based hair transplant surgeons: Drs. Ken Anderson, Daniel Lee, or Jeremy Wetzel.
Overall, hair transplant surgery offers hope for Atlanta men and women struggling with hair loss and can help restore their self-confidence and improve their overall quality of life.
Finding the Right Hair Transplant Surgeon in Atlanta
Finding the right hair transplant surgeon in Atlanta is crucial for a successful procedure and achieving natural-looking results. Here are some factors to consider when choosing an Atlanta hair transplant surgeon:
Experience and Expertise: Look for an Atlanta surgeon who specializes in hair transplant surgery and has extensive experience in performing the procedure. A skilled surgeon will have a history of successful surgeries and satisfied patients. Anderson Center for Hair is a world-renowned hair restoration center and has been ranked in the “25 Best in the World” each and every year since 2019. The center has also been named Atlanta Magazine’s “Best Hair Restoration Center in Atlanta” every year since 2014, 10 years in a row. Dr. Anderson is the physician chosen by Emory University School of Medicine to teach their own doctors. He is an Adjunct Clinical Professor in the Department of Dermatology at Emory, and regularly hosts doctors from the Dermatology Department at Emroy at Anderson Center for Hair to teach them about the surgical and non-surgical ways to address male- and female-pattern hair loss. It’s important to remember that most doctors in Atlanta who are offering hair transplant surgery are not trained in any field of surgery. A board certificate in Hair Restoration Surgery does not require any training whatsoever, it’s just a test that any doctor can take to receive the board certificate. Many doctors who were trained in internal medicine, physical medicine and rehabilitation and other non-surgical fields are offering hair transplant surgery in Atlanta. For these doctors, a hair transplant surgery is typically the first type of surgery they have ever attempted. Every doctor at Anderson Center for Hair has trained for 5 to 7 years in a surgical subspecialty, and all the doctors at Anderson Center for Hair are bonafide surgeons, and each completed 5,000 or more surgeries prior to performing their first hair transplant procedure.
Qualifications and Credentials: Ensure that the Atlanta surgeon is board-certified and has the necessary qualifications and credentials in the field of hair transplant surgery. This can provide assurance of their knowledge and expertise in the latest techniques and advancements. For instance, the founder of Anderson Center for Hair, Dr. Ken Anderson, uniquely stands as the only board-certified facial plastic surgeon in the world with more than 20 years dedicated exclusively to the specialty of hair restoration surgery. He also has triple board certification, with board certificates in the specialties of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He also earned a board certificate issued by the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery.
Facilities and Equipment: Take the time to visit the surgeon’s clinic or facility to assess the quality of the facilities and the equipment they use. A reputable hair transplant surgeon in Atlanta will have a well-equipped operating room with the latest technology to ensure optimal outcomes. Anderson Center for Hair, with two state-of-the-art Atlanta locations, has been a pioneer in hair transplant surgery. Dr. Anderson has been performing FUE since 2003, and in 2004, he performed the very first FUE surgery worldwide that was published in a peer-reviewed medical journal. Check out a video of Dr. Anderson performing FUE surgery in 2004.
Patient Reviews and Testimonials: Read reviews and testimonials from previous patients to get an idea of their experiences with the surgeon. Positive reviews and testimonials can indicate the surgeon’s reliability and proficiency. Anderson Center for Hair has more 5-star reviews on RealSelf.com than any other hair replacement practice in the world. You can read our reviews on our website.
Researching and Selecting a Reputable Surgeon in Atlanta
- Gather Recommendations: Ask for recommendations from trusted friends, family members, or healthcare professionals who have undergone hair transplant surgery in Atlanta or have knowledge in the field. Their firsthand experiences and insights can be valuable in guiding your decision-making process. There are many patients who have had a hair transplant at Anderson Center for Hair who have offered to speak to people considering having a hair transplant to which you can talk. These are not paid consultants but simply happy patients who, after completing extensive research on their own, chose Anderson Center for Hair, and were so happy with their results that they offered to speak to new patients. Simply ask your doctor about contacting one of more of these patients.
- Conduct Online Research: Use online resources to research different hair transplant surgeons in Atlanta. Visit their websites, read about their qualifications, and look for before-and-after photos of their previous patients. This can give you a sense of their expertise and the quality of their work. Anderson Center for Hair offers an extensive before-and-after gallery. In addition, Anderson Center for Hair has won more local, national, and international awards than any other hair transplant surgery center in Atlanta. All the surgeons at Anderson Center for Hair are members of the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons. There are just 60 worldwide members of this prestigious society, only 33 of which are in the USA. The IAHRS and its elite membership is the only hair transplant society to be recognized by Consumer Reports, Consumer’s Digest, and WebMD. Considered the foremost patient-centric organization in the field, IAHRS members are endorsed by The American Hair Loss Association for their support of truth in advertising, safe consumerism, and the importance of appropriate patient selection.
- Schedule Consultations: Once you have shortlisted a few potential surgeons, schedule consultations with each of them. During the consultations, ask questions about their experience, the surgical techniques they use, and their post-operative care protocols. This will help you assess their professionalism and their ability to address your concerns. Make sure that your consult is with the actual surgeon who will perform the surgery and not a salesman or “senior consultant.” Although it is fine for a non-physician to answer general questions, your examination should be conducted by the doctor and he or she should be the one to make all treatment recommendations. At Anderson Center for Hair, hair transplant surgery consultation will always be with one of our Atlanta-based surgeons.
- Trust Your Gut: After conducting thorough research, trust your instincts and choose an Atlanta hair transplant surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and confident. Effective communication and a good rapport with your surgeon are essential for a smooth surgical experience. Hair loss is a life-long issue, and you will be forming a long-term relationship with your doctor, much like the relationship most people have with their dentists.
By considering these factors and conducting thorough research, you can increase the likelihood of finding a reputable hair transplant surgeon in Atlanta who meets your specific needs and delivers excellent results. Remember, hair transplant surgery is a long-term investment, so take the time to find the right surgeon for your unique situation.
Preparing for Hair Transplant Surgery in Atlanta
Before undergoing hair transplant surgery in Atlanta, it is important to schedule your consultation with one of our Atlanta-based hair transplant surgeons. During this consultation, the surgeon will evaluate your individual case and determine if you are a suitable candidate for the procedure. He will assess factors such as the extent of hair loss, the quality of your donor hair, and your overall health. This evaluation process is essential for creating a personalized treatment plan that will yield the best possible results.
Pre-Operative Instructions and Preparations
Once approved for surgery, your surgeon will provide you with detailed pre-operative instructions. These instructions may include dietary restrictions, medication guidelines, and special care requirements for the days leading up to the surgery. It is crucial to follow these instructions closely to ensure successful and safe surgery.
In addition to following the pre-operative instructions, you may also be required to stop certain medications, such as blood thinners, to minimize the risk of complications during the surgery. It is important to inform your surgeon about any medications or supplements you are currently taking to ensure a thorough evaluation and personalized recommendations.
Furthermore, it is recommended to quit smoking and avoid alcohol consumption in the weeks leading up to the surgery as these can interfere with the healing process. Your surgeon will provide you with specific guidelines regarding these lifestyle adjustments.
Preparing for the surgery also involves arranging transportation to and from the clinic on the day of the procedure. Because hair transplant surgery can be a lengthy process, it is important to have someone accompany you to provide support and assistance.
By following the consultation and evaluation process, as well as the pre-operative instructions and preparations, you can ensure that you are fully prepared for hair transplant surgery in Atlanta. This careful planning will contribute to a successful surgery and enhance the
A Deeper Dive into FUT and FUE
When it comes to hair transplant surgery in Atlanta, there are two main techniques that are commonly used: Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Excision(FUE). Each technique has its own advantages and considerations, which will be discussed further.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) Technique
FUT is a surgical procedure that involves removing a strip of scalp from the donor area, typically at the back of the head, and then dissecting it into individual follicular units. These units, which contain one to four hairs, are then carefully transplanted into the recipient area where hair loss has occurred. For most patients, it also allows for more hair to be transplanted over the course of future procedures if necessary. This is because subsequent strip procedures can be performed to move more hair into the recipient area, and the existing scar in the donor area can be removed at the time of the subsequent strip surgery, leaving the patient with only one scar. Since the density of hair follicles above and below the scar remains unchanged with an FUT procedure, in most cases more hair can be moved over the long run.
One of the main advantages of FUT hair transplant surgery for our Atlanta patients is that the linear scar resulting from the donor area is concealed by surrounding hair, making the scar unnoticeable. As mentioned above, the fine-line linear scar will never accidentally become visible if your hair gets wet or if it’s windy. In order to see it, one would need to go looking for it by combing upward and vertically through the scalp hair to search for it. It’s not something that is visible in normal day-to-day activities.
Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) Technique
FUE is a minimally invasive procedure in which individual follicular units are extracted directly from the donor area using a specialized punch device. The units are then transplanted into the recipient area, just like in FUT. The main difference lies in the method of extraction.
One of the key advantages of FUE hair transplant surgery for our Atlanta patients is that it does not result in a linear scar. Instead, tiny circular scars are left in the donor area, which are usually less noticeable. This allows patients to have shorter haircuts in the future, typically including military “high and tight” hair styles where the hair on the back and sides of the scalp is trimmed short.
Both FUT and FUE techniques have their advantages and considerations, and the choice between them will depend on numerous factors, including the number of grafts needed and individual preference.
It is important to find an Atlanta-based hair transplant clinic who offers both techniques because the best technique for a given patient will depend on individual patient factors.
Finally, it’s important to note that Anderson Center for Hair in Atlanta has been pioneering FUE hair transplant surgery since 2003. In fact, Dr. Anderson’s groundbreaking work in 2004, which was documented in a peer-reviewed medical journal, marked the first-ever FUE surgery performed globally. Check out a video of Dr. Anderson performing FUE surgery in 2004.
Recovery and Post-Operative Care
After undergoing hair transplant surgery in Atlanta, it is important to understand what to expect during the recovery period. The recovery process can vary depending on the technique used, but here are some general guidelines:
- Healing Time: The initial healing phase for our Atlanta hair transplant patients typically lasts about a week, during which you may experience mild swelling, redness, and scabbing around the transplanted area. These side effects are normal and should gradually subside.
- Discomfort: It is common for our Atlanta hair transplants patients to experience some discomfort or soreness in both the donor and recipient areas. Your surgeon may prescribe pain medication to help manage any discomfort.
- Activity Level: It is important to avoid strenuous activities, such as heavy lifting or intense exercise, for at least a week following the procedure. This will help promote proper healing and minimize the risk of complications.
- Hair Growth: It is important to note that the transplanted hair will initially shed within the first few weeks after surgery. This is a normal part of the process and should not cause concern. New hair growth will typically start within three to four months, and full results can be expected within a year.
Post-Operative Care Instructions and Tips
To ensure optimal results and minimize the risk of complications, it is crucial to follow the post-operative care instructions provided by your surgeon. The instructions provided on the day of your procedure are very detailed and all questions are answered there. Here are some highlights of those instructions to give you an idea of what to expect:
- Keep the Area Clean: Gently clean the recipient area daily with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water. Avoid scrubbing or rubbing the area to prevent dislodging of the transplanted follicles. Specific and detailed instructions regarding how to use the “cup-method” to cleanse the recipient area will be provided post operatively.
- Protect the Transplanted Area: Avoid direct sunlight, excessive heat, and wearing hats or helmets for at least two weeks after surgery. These activities can disrupt the healing process and potentially affect the growth of the transplanted hair. In some cases, loose-fitting hats can be worn sooner. Your surgeon will direct you on this.
- Avoid Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking and alcohol can negatively impact the healing process. It is advisable to refrain from smoking and limit alcohol consumption for a few weeks following the procedure.
- Take Medications as Prescribed: Your surgeon may prescribe antibiotics or other medications to prevent infection and promote healing. Follow the prescribed dosage and schedule strictly.
- Stay Hydrated and Eat a Healthy Diet: Proper hydration and a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals can support the healing process and promote hair growth. Sufficient dietary protein is also important for proper healing.
Remember, every individual may have unique requirements and recovery timelines.
By following these recovery and post-operative care guidelines, you can ensure a smooth and successful hair transplant surgery recover in Atlanta and achieve the desired results.
Hair Transplant Results and Maintenance
After undergoing hair transplant surgery in Atlanta, patients often wonder when they can expect to see visible hair growth and achieve the desired aesthetic results. It is important to note that hair growth is a gradual process, and individual experiences may vary. However, here is a general timeline of what can be expected:
- The Initial Stage: In the first few weeks following the surgery, the transplanted hair follicles will enter a resting phase. This means that the transplanted hair will shed, which can be disheartening for some patients. However, this is a normal part of the process as it allows the hair follicles to prepare for new growth.
- The Growth Phase: Typically, new hair growth will start within three to four months after the surgery. Initially, the hair may appear thin and sparse, but it will gradually become thicker and more natural-looking over time. By the six-month mark, patients can expect to see significant improvement in hair density.
- Final Aesthetic Results: Achieving the final aesthetic results may take up to a year or more. The timeline can vary depending on individual factors such as the extent of hair loss, the quality of the donor area, and the patient’s natural hair growth cycle. Patience and adherence to post-operative care instructions are crucial during this period.
Tips for Maintaining and Maximizing the Longevity of the Results
To ensure the longevity of the hair transplant results and maintain their appearance, here are some essential tips we provide our Atlanta patients:
- Follow the post-operative care instructions: Your surgeon will provide specific instructions for caring for the transplanted area. It is important to follow these guidelines to promote proper healing and minimize the risk of complications.
- Protect your scalp from the sun: Direct exposure to sunlight can damage the transplanted hair follicles. Wear a hat or use sunscreen specifically designed for the scalp when spending time outdoors, especially during the initial months after surgery.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: A balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals can support the health of your hair and promote optimal growth. Additionally, avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption as they can negatively impact hair growth and overall wellness.
- Consider maintenance treatments: Depending on individual needs, your surgeon may recommend maintenance treatments such as PRP therapy or laser therapy. These treatments can help stimulate hair growth and maintain the results of the hair transplant. Research has shown that patients who get a PRP procedure at 2, 4 and 6 months following a hair transplant procedure have higher density and are happier at one year. (citation)
- Continue with your prescribed hair loss prevention regimen: Your surgeon will outline a hair loss prevention regimen for you to follow that will help prevent further hair loss. This is crucial in maintaining a good cosmetic result after a hair transplant procedure.
- Regularly visit your hair transplant surgeon: Follow-up appointments with your Atlanta surgeon are essential to monitor the progress of hair growth and address any concerns or questions you may have. Your surgeon will provide personalized guidance and recommendations based on your specific needs.
By following these tips and adhering to good hair care practices, our Atlanta patients can maximize the longevity of their hair transplant results and enjoy natural-looking, healthy hair for years to come. Remember, every individual is unique, and it is important to consult with your hair transplant surgeon for personalized advice and maintenance plans.
Cost and Financing Options for Hair Transplant Surgery
Hair transplant surgery is a personalized procedure that addresses the individual needs and goals of each patient. As a result, the cost of the procedure can vary depending on several factors. These factors include:
- The extent of hair loss: The more extensive the hair loss, the more grafts are required to achieve the desired results. This can increase the overall cost of the procedure.
- The technique used: There are different techniques for hair transplant surgery, such as FUE and FUT. Each technique has its own cost considerations.
- The surgeon’s experience and reputation: Highly skilled and experienced surgeons often charge higher fees for their expertise and successful track record.
Remember that the cheapest option may not always be the best, as the quality and success of the procedure should be prioritized.
To help make your hair transplant surgery more manageable, Anderson Center for Hair in Atlanta offers financing. You can split your procedure cost into small monthly payments through Care Credit. Visit Care Credit to apply today.
It is worth noting that health insurance typically does not cover the cost of cosmetic procedures such as hair transplants, as they are considered elective. Therefore, it is important to budget for the procedure and plan accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many individuals considering hair transplant surgery in Atlanta may have shared questions and concerns about the procedure. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions:
Will the results look natural?
Many of our Atlanta patients often worry about the appearance of their hair after transplant surgery. Advanced techniques such as FUE and FUT allow for natural-looking results. Skilled surgeons ensure that the transplanted hair blends seamlessly with the existing hairline, creating a natural and aesthetically pleasing result. Unnatural results often result from hairlines that are too low, too straight, or a transplant that is too sparse. These issues can occur with less experienced centers, so choosing a surgeon that specializes exclusively in hair restoration surgery with a long history of success is essential.
Is the procedure painful?
During hair transplant surgery, local anesthesia is administered to ensure that the patient is comfortable throughout the procedure. Some of our Atlanta patients experience some discomfort during the hair surgery recovery phase, but this can be managed with pain medication prescribed by the surgeon. Most are quite surprised by how little discomfort is experienced during the surgery and during the recovery process. Patients typically take a single pill of the narcotic medication in the evening after their surgery and don’t require any more for the entire recover process.
How long does the recovery process take?
The initial recovery period typically lasts around one week. During this time, patients may experience some swelling and scabbing in the transplanted area. It is essential to follow the surgeon’s post-operative instructions for optimal healing.
Are hair transplant results permanent?
Hair transplant surgery offers long-lasting results for our Atlanta patients. The transplanted hair follicles are resistant to the hormone responsible for hair loss, making them less likely to fall out over time. However, it is important to note that the natural aging process may cause some thinning or loss of existing hair.
For those considering hair transplant surgery in Atlanta, it is important to remember that the procedure offers a solution to hair loss and can have a significant positive impact on self-confidence and quality of life. By addressing common concerns and providing accurate information, we hope to alleviate any fears or hesitations individuals may have.
We encourage you to consult with Drs. Ken Anderson, Daniel Lee, or Jeremy Wetzel to receive personalized advice and guidance tailored to your specific needs. Our experienced surgeons and staff will walk you through the process, answer any additional questions you may have, and ensure your comfort and satisfaction throughout the procedure.
Remember, hair transplant surgery can be a life-changing experience, helping you regain a full head of hair and boosting your confidence. Don’t hesitate to take the next step toward a more confident and fulfilling life.
- Hair transplantation: a review and technique presentation
- A systematic review of the outcome of hair transplantation in primary scarring alopecia
- Surgical complications in hair transplantation: a series of 533 procedures
- Hair transplantation: standard guidelines of care
- Hair transplantation in frontal fibrosing alopecia and lichen planopilaris: a systematic review
- Hair transplant practice guidelines
- Hair transplantation: basic overview
- Eyebrow and eyelash hair transplantation: a systematic review
- Hair transplantation and follicular unit extraction
- Facial hair transplantation for transgender patients: a literature review and guidelines for practice